Director ID: New directors apply now
from the ATO website with annotation
A director identification number (director ID) is a unique identifier that a company director applies for once and keeps forever.
Apply for a director ID via the link below – it’s free and you only have to do it once.
You need to apply for your own director ID. The fastest way to do this is online using the myGovID app.
If you struggle with the myGovID app you can also apply over the phone on 136250 or by a paper application
- your tax file number (TFN)
- your residential address as held by the ATO
- information from two documents to verify your identity.
Examples of the documents you can use include:
- bank account details
- an ATO notice of assessment
- super account details
- a dividend statement
- a Centrelink payment summary
- a PAYG payment summary (this is different to your income statement, and/or your PAYG instalment activity statement).
If you are appointed as a company director under the Corporations Act 2001:
- on or before 31 October 2021, you must apply by 30 November 2022
- from 1 November 2021 to 4 April 2022, you must apply within 28 days of being appointed
- for the first time on or after 5 April 2022, you must apply before being appointed.
If you are appointed under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 (CATSI Act), you will need to apply by 30 November 2023.
Once you have your director ID, keep it safe until it is needed. You don’t need to do anything with your director ID now but can provide it to an accountant, company secretary, ASIC registered agent or tax professional for record keeping purposes.
Sole traders do not need to get a director ID.